South Hill Park’s 50th Anniversary
2023 marks the 50th anniversary of South Hill Park Arts Centre. To celebrate this historic occasion, we are running a number of special community events including:
• The Golden Festival of Food and Music, Sun 7 – Mon 8 May 11am-6pm, with music, food and crafts all on offer
• Summer promenade performance of The Yellow Brick Road – A Wizard of Oz Experience at The Lexicon and South Hill Park, plus local street activities including a treasure hunt and visual arts installation
• October celebration evening, including Showing Off – a variety performance showcasing the talents of our local community
• Children’s cake design competition. For more information on how to enter, click here to see our e-flyer
• History outreach project with local schools
• Community arts exhibition in collaboration with local charities
• Special anniversary workshops for adults and children
• Time capsule, with items from local schools and artists, to be re-opened in 2073
• Gift for Gold – a year-long fundraising campaign to raise £50,000 to support SHP’s work with the community
With our exciting and varied programme, there’s an opportunity for everyone to join us in looking back at 50 years of the arts in Bracknell, and looking forward to many more.
The Story of South Hill Park
A documentary by Alex Harvey-Brown
A brand-new documentary, by Alex Harvey-Brown, exploring the rich history of South Hill Park, is now available to view. Please visit this page to book a ticket to see it screened in our very own cinema.
A trailer for the documentary can be found at the top of this page.
The film covers all eras, starting from the buildings fascinating (and tragic) origins, all the way through to its anarchic popularity in the 70s and 80s, to the challenges it faces in the present day.
Send us your memories
This year we are celebrating 50 years of passion for the arts and we want you to send us your memories of South Hill Park from 1973 onwards. Whether it’s your favourite performance, a throwback to a festival, a piece of work you created or a stroll through our wonderful gardens, we want to see and celebrate your experiences.
Please send a photo and short description of your South Hill Park memories to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note these will be shared on our social media channels in celebration of our 50th anniversary.
We received a lovely collection of photos of our Jazz Festivals throughout 1975 – 1988. Bob told us that it was, at that time, possibly the biggest and only jazz festival in the South East, bringing thousands of enthusiasts and locals to South Hill Park.
The photo pictures Charlie Watts, of the Rolling Stones, playing at South Hill Park in 1983 – one of the many huge names that have played here.
This photo is from May 1976 when South Hill Park held a wonderful ‘Under 5’s Festival’. The whole mansion and grounds were given over to activities for little ones and their parents and carers.
We are so grateful for Wendy’s lovely memory, and she said, ‘it was a brilliant week’!
The Band ‘OPPO’ – pictured at the opening of South Hill Park in October of 1973 – featured Jim Bradley (drums), Jeff Boult (guitar), Geoff Trickey (bass) and Fred Gardner (keyboards).
As Fred Gardner told us, ‘For several years SHP became our second home as we rehearsed, recorded and played there. It’s lovely to be back and see it still going strong!’
50th Anniversary Mural
To mark South Hill Park’s 50th anniversary, we commissioned UCA MA Fine Art student, Oluwafemi Babalola, to create an amazing mural by the Printmaking Studio staircase.
Inspired by the headpiece found on the Garden Room door handle which is surrounded by masks representing the ghosts and spirits that could be lingering withing the premises. The extended paintwork takes this further and includes elements found in the building such as the fireplace and ceiling floral motifs.
Artist Oluwafemi Babalola says, “I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude for the opportunity to showcase my artwork at South Hill Park. It holds immense significance to me”.
South Hill Park is excited to have this stunning artwork as a permanent feature in the mansion space. If you would like to see this mural, you can find it by entering the Wilde Theatre foyer and following along to the Wilde Community Gallery, where it is located upstairs on the wall by the Printmaking Studio.
Limited edition South Hill Park anniversary tote bags are now on sale for £7.50 from our Box Office.
Branded with our special 50th anniversary logo on an eye-catching bright orange material – they’re totes amaze-bags and guaranteed to brighten your day whilst making you stand out from the crowd.
All proceeds go to South Hill Park Charitable Trust.
Atrium Bar and Restaurant Anniversary Offer
If you were born or married in 1973 and are celebrating your 50th year, why not book one of our private function spaces for your celebration?
To say congratulations, the organiser will enjoy a complimentary 3 course meal for 2 people, subject to availability.
To inquire, call the catering office on 01344 416 233 or email email@example.com
There are many ways businesses can support their local arts venue and its charitable objectives, get involved and grow brand awareness.
We are grateful to the companies who wish to volunteer their time to support maintenance projects, donate materials or time or indeed book meeting or function spaces with us – proceeds from our room rentals go directly to support our community work.
Our 2023 Golden Anniversary programme includes several projects that need your support.
All sponsorships include:
• A great opportunity to deliver your own corporate social responsibility objectives whilst promoting your brand
• Brand presence on South Hill Park website with over 100,000 unique users
• Branded advert on South Hill Park’s promotional screens for 12 months
• Logo in South Hill Park’s season brochure (print run 80,000 three times a year)
• Partnership announced on Linked In, social media and press
• Partnership announced on e-newsletter to 22,000 subscribers
• Invitation to the pantomime’s Press/VIP Night pre and interval drinks reception with South Hill Park staff, trustees, VIP’s and local dignitaries
2023 Project Partnerships
• Sponsorship of an inspirational arts-based workshop and competition in a local school, care home or charity, judged by your company, with associated press and social media coverage, with artwork displayed in our Community Gallery. £1500 plus VAT
• Sponsorship of Golden Anniversary Festival of Music 10-11 June 2023 featuring local artists, food & craft stalls and children’s workshops, to include own stall (c. 6,000 attending). £1000 plus VAT
• Sponsorship of Easter or Summer School adult and children’s holiday workshops held at South Hill Park at cost price to the community, with artwork and branding displayed in our Community Gallery. £1000 plus VAT
• Sponsorship of a Mother and Baby or Dementia Friendly Film screening in our historic cinema, including branded pre-show advert on screen. £800 plus VAT
• Sponsorship of the autumn four page A5 promotional flyer delivered to 36,000 Bracknell households including a full page advert for your company. £2500 plus VAT
• Branded sponsorship of a space in the Wilde Theatre or Mansion, e.g. the Coach House, Recital Room, Cinema, Studio Theatre, Dance Studio. £1500 plus VAT
• Advertising in our Easter (print run 10,000) and Winter (print run 20,000) show programmes. From £300 – 800 plus VAT
• 50 Years Premier Partner – South Hill Park’s ‘headline’ partner for 2023. A bespoke package created with you based on your needs and priorities. £10,000 plus VAT
The 2023 programme is constantly evolving, and we hope the above reflects our ambition to truly be Berkshire’s centre for the arts, business and community. If you do have an idea for a community project or a specific target market, we would be delighted to discuss opportunities with you.
We also offer a number of Corporate Partnership Packages. For additional information please contact our Sales & Marketing Director Margaretha Welsford on 01344 413511.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
Current business partners include: Village Hotel; Toyota; Duncan Yeardley; Wickes; Ascot Racecourse and Daler Rowney.