Macbeth Casting Call
South Hill Park is looking for community actors to take part in Macbeth which is being directed by Joe Malyan (Peter Pan 2016 and The Borrowers 2015). This is a play, with songs, taking place in the Wilde Theatre at the beginning of February 2017. The performances run from Wednesday 1st February through until Sunday 5th February.
The set will be designed by Victoria Spearing and the costumes by Anne Thomson. Music will be composed by George Jennings, and fights and dances choreographed by Ann Ogden.
Macbeth – age 25-40. MALE Lead role. Physical role. Will be required to sword fight.
Lady Macbeth – age 25-40. FEMALE Lead role.
Duncan – aged 40-60. MALE. Lead-supporting role.
Banquo – aged 25-40. MALE. Lead-supporting role. Will be required to sword fight.
Malcolm – aged 25-40. MALE. Lead-supporting role.
Macduff – aged 25-40. MALE. Lead-supporting role. Will be required to sword fight.
Three Witches – aged 25-50. FEMALE. Lead-supporting roles. Strong singers required.
Witch’s daughter – aged 8-18. FEMALE. Lead-supporting role. Strong singer required.
Lady Macduff – aged 25-40. FEMALE. Supporting role.
Fleance – aged 14-22. MALE. Supporting role.
Donalbain – aged 25-35. MALE. Supporting role.
Macduff’s son – aged 8-14. MALE. Supporting role. Strong singer required.
Sergeant – aged 25-60. MALE. Chorus role.
Ross – aged 25-40 – MALE. Chorus role.
Lennox – aged 25-40 – MALE. Chorus role.
Angus – aged 25-40 – MALE. Chorus role.
Old man – aged 50-60. MALE. Chorus role.
Various other chorus roles. Aged 16+. MALE AND FEMALE.
Sundays and Tuesday evenings in December up until Christmas
Evenings from 2nd January-6th January
Evenings and weekends from 9th January – 29th January
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE SOME MATINEE WEEKDAY PERFORMANCES and a DAY TIME TECHNICAL REHEARSAL SO PLEASE DO NOT AUDITION IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMMIT TO THESE TIMES/DAYS
Auditions are by appointment, each lasting 15 minutes.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your allocated audition time, which will be given to you once you have emailed the contact below.
Please specify which role you would like to audition for when emailing Joe Malyan.
What to prepare:
- One monologue by your chosen character from Macbeth – this will be sent to you by the Director. You will be expected to learn this, and you will also be asked to prepare it in an RP English accent AND a Scottish accent (Inverness regional)
- One monologue from any other Shakespeare. Around 1-2 minutes long. Any accent.
- One monologue by your character from Macbeth – this will be sent to you by the Director. You will be expected to learn this, and you will also be asked to prepare it in an RP accent AND a Scottish accent (Inverness regional)
- One verse and chorus from a folk/early classic song which you can sing a capella.
- You will also be sent a few lines from an original song by George Jennings from the show which you will be expected to learn. The songs for the show will be sung in Gaelic, but you will be singing to ‘la’ for the audition. You will be sent the score and a backing track to rehearse to.
Audition Date – Sunday 16th and Sunday 23rd October from 6pm-10pm. The Terrace Room at South Hill Park. Any singing roles will be called for the 16th October ONLY.
Monday 30th January – TECH PM
Tuesday 31st January – ALL DAY TECH + DRESS PM
PLEASE DO NOT AUDITION IF YOU CANNOT COMMIT TO THE ENTIRE REHEARSAL AND PRODUCTION PERIOD. CANDIDATES WHO AUDITION WHO CAN THEN NOT MAKE ALL DATES MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED.
If you are interested in taking part, please email Joe Malyan at firstname.lastname@example.org